Springback Academy offers aspiring dance writers professional mentorship during a 4 day contemporary dance festival, Spring Forward. The project, run by Aerowaves, seeks to boost the profile of quality critical dance writing online.
Since 2014, Springback Academy has accompanied Spring Forward festival, which is held in a different European city each year. This year, Spring Forward will take place in in Aarhus, Denmark from 28-30 April 2017. Whilst Aerowaves will provide mentorship, accommodation and hospitality at the festival, participants will need to organise and fund their own transport to and from Aarhus.
Throughout the festival, participants will
- Be mentored in critical writing by our four lead critics – Donald Hutera (The Times, London), Sanjoy Roy (The Guardian, London), Roslyn Sulcas (New York Times, London/New York) and Monna Dithmer (Politiken, Copenhagen)
- Attend performances and provide short reviews (140 words) which will be published daily on the Aerowaves website.
- Post mini reviews, questions and provocations on Twitter to generate online debate.
- Contribute one longer opinion-style piece for the Aerowaves website in the week after the festival
- Participate in a round-table/panel discussion about where dance writing is, or should be, heading.
How to apply
- Send us a brief outline of any relevant critical writing or experience of review writing you’ve had to date (140 words or less).
- Send us a sample review (in English) of a dance performance you have seen (140 words or less). This can be an existing review or one you've written especially for this application.
- Tell us in 140 words or less why you want to participate in Springback Academy 2017.
- Tell in 140 words or less a little about your local dance scene.
- Tell us your potential arrival and departure date & time. If selected for the project, you would ideally need to arrive on the afternoon (ideally by 2pm) of Thursday April 27 and depart after midday on Monday 1 May.
- Send all of this in an email to: email@example.com before 11am (GMT) on Monday 27 February. Please cc in firstname.lastname@example.org and use the email subject title “Springback 2017 Application”
- Participants will be notified by email by Monday 13 March whether they have been selected for the project.
N.B. If you applied to participate in the Springback Academy in previous years and your submission was not accepted, we do encourage you to apply again.
Visit the Springback Academy page here