In September 2011, Dance Art Group, the producers of the Seattle Festival of Dance Improvisation (SFDI) since 1994, handed production of the festival to Velocity Dance Center.
A new role of SFDI Coordinator has now been created to manage the production of SFDI. This will be a contracted position with Velocity Dance Center; Dance Art Group is facilitating the hiring of this position.
The Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day coordination of the Seattle Festival of Dance Improvisation. SFDI preparations begin in September and continue until the festival in early August.
Work load varies throughout the year. The SFDI Coordinator can expect to work 5-10 hours/week.
Tasks include, but are not limited to, the following, all of which will be done in coordination with Velocity:
- Organization and formatting of SFDI schedule including Intensives, classes, jams and special events;
- Faculty contact for SFDI, Velocity Guest Artist Series and master classes;
- Venue rentals;
- Registration management;
- Performances: Technical staff procurement; Box office management; DVD copying and distribution;
- Panel discussion coordination;
- Coordination of other SFDI events including Opening and Closing Circles, final teacher feedback meeting, and closing potluck;
- Work/study coordination;
- Faculty and student housing coordination;
- Evaluation coordination;
- Communications: Email, snail-mail and phone responses; Social media management; Graphic design management; Photographer and videographer procurement; Press releases and media contacts.
- Fundraising: Collaborate on grant writing with Velocity Development Director; Coordinate annual SFDI fundraising benefit.
- Other miscellaneous duties.
The SFDI Coordinator will communicate via meetings and email with a team of SFDI Curators throughout the year; meetings occur once monthly; email communication is frequent.
Major curatorial decisions will be made by the SFDI Curators, which will include the SFDI Coordinator as well as representatives of Velocity and Dance Art Group. These decisions include:
- SFDI format;
- SFDI faculty;
- Panel discussion facilitator;
- Jam themes;
- Class schedule;
- Schedule changes.
- Ability to multitask;
- Strong effective communicator;
- Comfortable working with limited supervision under the direct leadership of Velocity;
- Extremely strong organizational, writing, verbal and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrate past success planning large-scale events similar to the programs offered by SFDI;
- Comfortable with Excel;
- Graphic design experience a plus (InDesign, Photoshop).
The SFDI Coordinator will be paid will be paid a guaranteed minimum flat rate solely from the gross profits of SFDI 2012. Any other payments made throughout the year (e.g., monthly stipend) will be negotiated and finalized between Velocity and the SFDI Coordinator. Compensation also includes:
- Free attendance at all SFDI events;
- Discounted Velocity studio space rentals and class attendance.
Email resume and one-page letter of interest to email@example.com by October 3, 2011.