THE TELEPRESENT SELF
1. Who, what, why, where, when, how, how much are you? Gather images of
your grandparents and parents.
Doctor them in Photoshop and ‘cartoonize’ programs. Start collective
blog. Get/expand face book, flicker,
you tube, second life, twitter, sketchup warehouse, and other select social
media sites. Pose on some of these
as another gender, race, class, nationality, or ghost/spirit/vampire/etc. Start comic life or comic book
maker. Start your graphic novel.
Collective topic: Vitalism contra Materialism. Keep a sketchbook. Open source software to download and to
use: comic life, cartoonize, comic
book creator, onyx, audacity, sketchup, blender, processing, open cobalt, open
office, pure data, gimp, imovie, windows media maker, audacity, gamer, drammatica,
2. Interaction in art and tech! Why? Start your rant!
Assignments due online! A
dialog with sentience at the beginning and the end of the world. Post it on you tube. Start to turn the rant into a story
with a storyboard. Continue with the social media sites. Storyboard a sci-fi narrative about a
biosphere in trouble. Make music!yes""> Study sketchup.
3. Liquid boundaries! Describe that! Continue to rant! Discuss storyboard in class. Music of the spheres! The virtual performer! Chart a map of your telepresent (fictional or non-fictional!) on a map.
Fall in love! Save
the world! Visit visual complexity
and complexification. Continue
sci-fi story of biosphere. Place
your family within it.
4. Liminal space! What does it mean to exist between? Start a fictitious
romance! Weave all of this into
your graphic novel. Place personal
photos within the spaces of sketchup as a museum within the biosphere. Do the same on second life. Go to the woods with your digital
camera. Find textures and
silence. Record this.
5. Collaborating on interactive works. Design and immersive
telepresnet space. Explore patches
in Max/jitter and Processing.
Project works on colleagues. Work on a larger piece. Continue the blog and you tube.
6. Avatars! Design a sexy one (male, female, or other) and design the
urban transport vehicle for living and moving for the avatar in sketchup. Place results on the sketchup warehouse
and second life. Continue novel.
7. Why? Memes and Genes…is the real game Genes? Fold proteins on ‘fold it’. Design a sustainable society for your
failing biosphere. Engage others
on the social media sites. Midterm
8. Where: the big urban planet sinking.yes""> Continue a rant on how to fix the global economy. Engage in skype with a ‘skype
pal’. Engage in a conference
program and a possible skype meeting of enemies.yes""> Continue novel and blog and formulate in a story.
9. The big city. The noosphere, the big brain.yes""> You are a part of a large, global telematic city and it is
sinking! Where are you going for a
living and a job? Who are you
going to love and where will your genes going?yes""> Picture it.
Design it. Draw it. Continue the graphic novel. Blog and vlog your head off.
10. Design the zero-distance space! The university of the future. Add as many human-computer interface devices as possible. Find and
collect all the beginning materials for a brain wave reader. Your assignment is to design an ‘anti-university’
to make the present expensive university obsolete!yes""> Treasure hunt.
11. All the world is a stage: use the onstage/offstage metaphor to design the new media performance venue and lifestyle enhancement zone! Prepare some physical computing
projections and VJ programs with dancers and try them out! Continue rants, vlogs, blogs, and
12. When? What is a time-based performance? Design some artistic program in film, sound, or other media for your smart phone.yes""> Play with time/space.yes""> Study quantum mechanics and physics. Where is time? Maps?yes""> Layout a psycho geography of your past and future time. Where is spectacle in time? Is spectacle obsolete?
13. The body and the verb. To do. Make. Work with
a movement performer or athlete. The
hive and the outsider: are you the
ape in the ant heap? Go to the
woods or beach again at sunset.
Describe, record sound, film, and photograph it. Compose this in a sound and real-time
14. The vital and the material. Are numbers stupid? The will as object and energy. Collaborate on the interactive performance for the media-club performance in NYC.yes""> Hack up, trick up wii, wii fit, joysticks, gyro mouse, ir
webcam, braincap, and any other human computer interface. Make ‘future archeology’ of objects,
verbs, films, insertions, interventions, and other ‘witnessing’ you will leave
in the physical environment.
15. Make a straight, linear storytelling from your graphic novel. Then cut
that up. Add game elements, Do the
same about your life in the past 15 sessions.yes"">
16. Do the big show in the media club in NYC. Invite face book lurkers and the press. Archive.